Mass Incarceration in Arizona means KIDS v. CONVICTIONS. The cost of continuing Maricopa County's obsession with mass incarceration is not only staggering in terms of dollars but it is also devastating our educational system and the long term future of our state economy. Alternatives to mass incarceration such as Diversion Programs, Drug Courts, Mental Health Courts are not only more effective in preventing repeat offenses they are also much more economical. You can review the shocking numbers for yourself below. Come join the fight to fix the criminal justice system in Maricopa county!
Arizona Education Facts
- Arizona is rated 47 out of 50 states for education quality!
- Arizona is ranked dead last in per student state funded education spending!
- Arizona’s H.S. graduation rate has fallen for the past 3 years!
- Arizona has the lowest rate of college graduation in the nation!
Arizona Mass Incarceration Facts
- Arizona has the 6th highest rate of incarceration in the U.S. and it is 1st in the West.
- Arizona spends nearly $24,000.00 per year per prison inmate.
- It costs $85 per day or $31,000.00 per year to house someone in the Maricopa County Jails.
- Arizona has increased prison spending by 491% over the past 33 years.
Mass Incarceration Facts
Prison Population Facts
- There are over 48,000 inmates in the Arizona Department of Corrections.
- 21.8% of those inmates are serving time for non-violent drug offenses.
- Overall, 28.1% of inmates are serving time for non-violent offenses.
Prison Population by Race
- Latino 40% (30.7% of State Population)
- White, non Hisp 38.9% (55.8%)
- African-American 13.7% (4.8%)
- Native American 5.4%(5.3%)
- 2.0% other